Thursday, July 12, 2012

June Veggie Garden

I had planned to do another veggie garden update for June a bit earlier but the week-long power outage put an end to those plans.  But I thought I'd go ahead and do it anyway even though it is now mid July.


 The green onions are starting to form bulbs and mature.
 The cucumbers are starting to climb. A second planting of Early Sunglow corn is coming up in the background.  It got mulched too.
 My "no-hoe" experimental corn patch that I mulched is growing nicely despite the lack of rain.  Mulch is great!  Don doesn't have to hoe now so he is just posing for the camera.
 A few tomatoes that we started in the greenhouse and set out with blooms already going are starting to ripen.  I think this is a Park's Whopper.  We have  some heirlooms too.
Peppers apparently love the hot weather we had and are setting fruit like crazy.  This is the earliest we have ever had peppers.  This is a Giant Marconi, a sweet Italian type.
By the end of June we had harvested all our early lettuce and have new lettuce growing under some shade.













 Pole beans (white half runner) are starting to climb.
 My sweet potatoes are sending out their long vining tentacles and will soon cover the garden.  I'm trying to keep the mulch ahead of them to control weeds.
 Some old gates work well for tomatoes and the rest of the tomatoes are starting to grow.
My bush beans got off to a slow start but are growing well now.



















Thing will really take off during July so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. How thick is your mulch? You must have a lot or Don is doing a lot of hoeing because I don't see any weeds.
    The garden is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the goats we have I have an endless supply of hay mulch mixed with goat manure. Some of it I compost, the rest I spread as mulch everyday when I clean the barns. It doesn't burn like some nor does it stink. The mulch varies in thickness and I just keep adding as it thins but it is at least 6 inches thick. We have only had to hand pull a few scattered weeds here and there except when the ground is bare (theoretically). Then we use a scrabble hoe or knock it down with a tiller. Most of it is covered with mulch now and the soil is nice and cool, moist and loose underneath. Exposed areas turn to concrete in this sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks beautiful. I just love the farm gates as tomato trellises. Those are pretty expensive trellises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the gates are really old and rusty. They were here when we bought the farm. The bottoms of the tubes are rusted out so it was either use them somehow or scrap them.

      Delete