Friday, August 17, 2012

Heidi the Great Pyrenees Puppy - 10 months

 
It has been a while since I have talked about Heidi, our Pyrenees puppy.  She is about 10 months old now.  It seems like just yesterday she was a tiny puppy and very unsure of the goats.  The dwarf goats dwarfed her.

OMG What ARE these things staring at me???




















Over the spring and summer she spent supervised time with the goats.  I had to watch her so that she did not chase the babies.  The larger goats kept her in line and I also had to make sure the goats did not hurt the puppy.  I taught her that I am the pack and herd leader.  She willing relinquishes food and treats if I ask for them.  One day I noticed that she gently nudged one of the Nigerian babies away from her food bowl.  No growling or snapping, just a simple gesture that said this is my food.

A lesson in respect.

















Recently, Heidi's guardian instincts have kicked in and she stays closer to the goats.  Now if the goats go out to browse she goes with them and periodically she patrols the fence line and gives warning barks in her deep "big dog" bark.   She has earned the goats' respect and is now allowed in the barn and on the deck with them.
Heidi standing beside our Mini LaMancha Lulu.



It is easy to remember that she is still just a BIG puppy as evidenced by her puppy antics.  She loves large sticks and there is always a pile of them by the gate in the goat yard.  She collects rocks and string to go with her sticks.  She has managed to dig up every old dog toy buried in the tall grass.  She likes to slide down the hill on her back, preferably with a stick in her mouth.  But late at night when I hear that "big dog" bark off in the distance I know she is on patrol and warning everything to stay away.  And that is what a Pyrenees is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Since you always seem to be building or making something, what are you going to make with the pile of sticks, rocks, and string that Heidi has so nicely gathered for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could build her a conmfy twig chair and a small stone, string and mud hut to put it in.

      Delete